Caldo de Res (Beef Soup)
One of the Filipino soups that is so comforting and a childhood favorite is called Nilaga. It's also a very similar soup in Mexican Cuisine called Caldo de Res.
I make this recipe with beef shanks which has bones and bone marrow which makes this soup rich in flavor. This recipe is very simple with garden vegetables like cabbage, potatoes, carrots, green beans and a couple jalapenos. This is recipe you have to try!
CALDO DE RES
- 1.5 pounds beef shanks
- 1 spanish onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
- 1-2 jalapenos
- 2 large carrots, peeled and large chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and large chopped
- 1/4 pounds green beans
- 1 green cabbage, cut in large wedges
- Cover the beef shanks in 8-10 cups of water with chopped onion and boil until fork tender, for at least an hour to 1.5 hours.
- Add 2 teaspoons of salt and black pepper.
- Once the beef shanks are fork tender, add the jalapenos.
- Then add the carrots and potatoes, and boil until fork tender about 20 minutes.
- Once the carrots and potatoes are tender, add the cabbage, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat.
- Serve with rice and/or tortillas.