Hellmann's Chocolate Espresso Cake & Baking Set Giveaway
This recipe and giveaway is a paid advertisement for Hellmann's Mayonnaise.
Now, we all have heard of the awesomely delicious chocolate cake made with mayonnaise. Heck, many of us have even had it, a few slices even. I've heard of some having this very rich cake in a milkshake even! It's sinfully delicious. When Hellmann's contacted me to try out a chocolate cake recipe using Hellman's mayonnaise, well this Momma just couldn't pass it up - no way! I did put my own twist to this recipe, making the ingredients from scratch and swapping out the water for espresso and even adding espresso to my chocolate buttercream frosting. I decided to add sliced strawberries in between the cakes. This is totally optional. The results were simply amazing. If you haven't yet tried to bake a cake using Hellmann's Mayonnaise, you gotta try it!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 1.2 cups Hellmann’s mayonnaise
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups water with 1 tablespoon instant espresso
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease two, 9 inch layer cake pans.
Mix all of the ingredients together until smooth and pour evenly into the cake pans. Bake for 30 minutes.
Stick a toothpick in the middle of the cake and if it comes out without any cake batter, your cake is cooked. If not, bake for another 5 minutes. Let cool before taking out of the cake pans.
- 2 sticks room temperature unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons half and half or heavy cream
Cream the butter in a mixer for a couple of minutes.
In a large mixing bow, sift together all of the dry ingredients. With the mixer on the lowest setting, slowly add the dry mixture about 1/2 cup at a time until incorporate. Repeat. You may have to scrape down the bowl and paddle a couple of times.
Once all the dry mixture is incorporated with the butter, add the vanilla and heavy cream and incorporate into the buttercream.