Italian Sausage & Quinoa Stuffed Peppers with @Johnsonville Naturals
Italian Sausage & Quinoa Stuffed Peppers with Johnsonville Naturals
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium Spanish or yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1 package Johnsonville Naturals Mild Italian Sausage Links
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 2 stalks green onions, diced
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 ½ cups cooked red or “regular” quinoa
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 6 bell peppers, tops cut off and seeded
Prepare quinoa per package instructions.
Heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Heat a saute pan on medium-high heat with olive oil. Add the onions and garlic and saute until tender. Place the sausage in a pan and cook until browned. Remove from pan and slice into bite sized pieces. Return the sausage slices to the pan.
Then, add the carrots, zucchini, salt and chili flakes and toss together with sausage, onions and garlic. Once all tossed together, add dried cherries, green onions, sunflower seeds and quinoa and toss thoroughly and heat through.
Turn off the heat and toss in the Parmesan cheese. Take your hallowed bell peppers and assemble them in a baking dish. Fill each bell pepper to the top with the sausage filling. Bake in the oven for about 35-40 minutes.