Yellow Split Pea Soup
Yellow Split Pea Soup recipe by Momma Cuisine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound pork neck bones or pork ribs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumen
- 1 medium Spanish or yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 cup dry yellow split peas
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 Roma/plum tomato, diced
Take a large pot or Dutch oven and heat it to medium-high with olive oil.
Take the pork and season with salt, pepper and cumen and brown in the oil. Once the pork has a brown outer crust, add the onions, bell peppers and garlic. Saute the ingredients until softened, then add the bay leaves and split peas. Saute together for about 1 minute then add the Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.
Cover with beef broth and add diced tomatoes, stir together and bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil, bring the heat down to medium, medium-low and simmer gently for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the peas are plump and tender. Stir occasionally to prevent the peas from sticking to the bottom.
Taste for flavor, and serve.