Cast Iron Skillet Pizza
There is something so satisfying about cooking on a cast iron skillet. Cast iron skillets have that fantastic seasoned non stick coating that will even allow a fried egg to skate across its surface. That is why I love cooking pizza on my cast iron skillet.
When the weekend is fast approaching, your pajamas are calling you and the next episode of your favorite series is ready to be watched, the very best thing to accompany it all is a cast iron skillet pizza. No one likes faffing around in the kitchen at the weekends, spending hours laboring over a hot stove. That is why I fell in love with the following cast iron skillet pizza recipe, as it is simply a doddle to prepare and cooks in under thirty minutes, giving you plenty of time to dedicate to your guests and to relaxing with your feet up.
If you have been searching for the number 1 cast iron skillet pizza recipe then look no further as below is a list of all of the ingredients you will need to create this one-pan wonder.
1 pound of store-bought pizza dough (risen)
2 oz of olive oil
4 oz of readymade pizza sauce
½ a cup of pepperoni
4 oz of fresh mozzarella pearls
½ a cup of baby basil leaves
A sprinkle of oregano
Once you have got all of your ingredients together then it is time to start making this fantastic recipe. Take a look at the cooking directions below and follow them closely for the very best results:
- To begin, preheat your oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Place your cast iron skillet in the oven.
- Roll your premade dough into a 14 inch circle using a rolling pin. Once the skillet has heated up, drizzle 1.5 oz of olive oil into the skillet and transfer your round dough into the skillet, making sure that all of the edges are firmly pressed down.
- Spread your readymade pizza sauce onto the base of the pizza with a spoon, getting as close to the edges as possible.
- Loosely sprinkle the pepperoni slices onto the surface of the pizza and then do the same with the mozzarella pearls.
- Use the remaining olive oil to baste over the exposed dough.
- Place the skillet into the oven and bake until the crust is golden brown and a little crunchy (about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and allow it to cool. When it has cooled toss a handful of mini basil leaves on top to garnish and then slice it using a pizza cutter.
Shake it up!
One of my favorite things about this recipe is just how versatile it is. If you are not too much of a fan of pepperoni don’t worry, because this recipe can be enjoyed with a variety of toppings. Simply substitute the pepperoni for some of the following fantastic toppings:
¼ cup of roasted chicken breast and a ¼ cup of maple bacon.
¼ cup of sweet pineapple chunks and a ¼ cup of cubed or shredded honey cured ham.
A mixture of boiled egg, sweetcorn, green and black olives, and a dash of oregano all to make up ¾ of a cup.
½ a cup of sliced shiitake mushrooms and a couple of pinches of mixed herbs.
Can you think of a pizza topping flavor that your family really loves? Then try adding that to the top of your cast iron skillet pizza or mix and match the toppings and flavors above to make an award-winning pizza topping combo for you and your family.