Easy Homemade Flour Tortillas
People have been grinding wheat into flour, mixing it into a dough, pressing into patties, and cooking into flaky, floppy tortillas for several centuries. So, don’t believe anybody who says flour tortillas are a new thing, and corn is what makes the best tortillas. Both flour and corn flour are great for tortillas, but in this post, we will be talking about easy homemade flour tortillas.
You don’t have to buy tortillas from the store anymore. You can whip up the freshest and fastest flour tortilla recipe at home with our guide. Tortillas are Mexican staple food but have garnered worldwide attention due to their versatility, and of course, their taste. They are flaky, crispy, and go well with meat or vegetable dishes, even salads. Tortillas are easy to make and are healthy as well. This is the reason why they are so popular in every household.
Our homemade flour tortilla recipe is absolutely delicious, easy to prepare, and requires only a few ingredients. So, let’s get started.
● All-purpose flour - 2 cups
● Olive oil (or any other vegetable oil) - 3 tablespoons
● Water - ¾ cups
● Salt - ½ teaspoon
NOTE: This original recipe yields 8 servings. You can adjust the quantity of the ingredients according to your needs.
● Take a large mixing bowl, and whisk all-purpose flour and salt thoroughly.
● Then mix in the olive oil with your fingers until you are sure that the oil is evenly combined into the flour.
● Add the water and use your hand to mix it until it starts to form a dough. Knead it thoroughly to make sure you get an even dough. You can add more water if you want a more smooth dough. But don’t overdo it because it will become sticky, and your tortilla dough will be ruined. As you knead, you will know whether or not you have to add more water. Just go with the process.
● Once the tortilla dough is ready, form it into a large ball and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
● Now, divide the dough into 8 portions. You can use a knife to cut the dough into 8 different portions.
● Next, take your cast iron tortilla press, sprinkle some flour over its surface. Roll the equal portions into small balls by working them against your palms. Fill a small bowl with all-purpose flour and dip each dough ball into that bowl to cover them with flour.
● Now, one by one, press the tortilla balls in the tortilla press to create thin, round, uniform tortillas.
● Heat your cast iron skillet over medium flame. Cook your tortillas until they turn bubbly and brown. One minute each side is enough. That’s it. Your homemade flour tortillas are ready!
Flour tortillas are incredibly easy to prepare and are healthy as well. They are best served hot. If you do not want to eat it right away, you can refrigerate them for as long as two weeks. Refrigeration provides a cool environment for tortillas that helps in slowing down the growth of mold and bacteria. Do not store your tortillas at room temperature. You can wrap the tortillas in a plastic bag and store it in your refrigerator. And when you want to eat it, you can simply heat it over a cast iron skillet for a couple of minutes.
There are different ways to use your homemade flour tortillas
● Your flour tortillas can make any meal extraordinary - quesadillas, tacos, enchiladas, burritos
● Flour tortillas also make amazing, super thin crust pizzas. All you have you do is get creative. Brush the tortilla with some olive oil and top it with your favorite ingredients. It can be anything from veggies to meat, cheese, sauce, and more. Our favorite tortilla pizza recipe is adding smokey bacon bits, fresh mozzarella, and sprinkle fresh herbs or pine nuts and bake them in a 450°F pre-heated oven until it turns crispy golden brown, or for 4-5 minutes.
● You can also use your homemade tortillas for sandwich wraps.
● The tortillas can also be prepared for a quick sweet treat. Simply smear some butter and sprinkle cinnamon sugar all over it. It tastes better than it sounds like. You should try it!
● If you are planning on a movie night with friends at home, you don’t have to buy chips. Simpy, brush your homemade tortillas with olive oil on both sides, sprinkle ground pepper and kosher salt, and bake at 450°F for five minutes. Break them into small pieces or use a kitchen knife to cut them into even small pieces. Serve them with salsa, hummus, mayonnaise, or any other sauce.
You can use flour tortillas to make a variety of dishes and snacks, and it just takes only four ingredients to prepare.